We got hooked on the Freecycle concept in Red Deer. There was a big community, and lots of items being given away daily. Up here, there's less than a hundred people in the local group, so there's less activity. Still it has been a huge blessing for us.
We've had several friends and acquaintances tell us we're missing out by giving our things away instead of selling them. I argue that first of all, they are ignoring the non-material bonuses, like knowing someone who needs it is getting it, and the fact that you have people come to your door and carry the stuff away. Secondly, on a purely material level, perhaps we would be if we never got anything in return, but when you add it all up I think we've actually gained more than we lost in the deal.
Tonight, we picked up my best Freecycle find yet - the Little Tykes kid-sized play kitchen and play tool bench, in absolutely mint shape. They even had all the accessories still, all the pots and pans, the tools, everything. Wow! On top of that, the lady asked me if we needed a tricycle (we've been eyeing them in the store, but they're $60 or so) and gave us one that was like new. Plus a bike helmet and pads, and skates that will fit Connor this winter.
I can't even describe how blessed and grateful I feel. I can only hope that some of the people we gave our things to felt this way too - that's what makes this kind of thing so worthwhile.
Friday, May 16, 2008
Just One More Reason to Love Freecycle
Labels: organization