It's 9pm and all of my bags are packed except for the few things that will have to be added tomorrow morning. It feels like I must be missing something...but really, I've been packing in bits and pieces since last night, so I guess it makes sense.
Tomorrow morning we're up at 5:30am, leaving at 6:20ish for the airport. The flight leaves at just before 8, but the airport is on the other end of town. We'll have a short flight to Calgary, a little over an hour's layover, and then a much longer flight to Ottawa. Once in Ottawa, we'll pick up our rental car and drive about two hours to get to where our friends and my Dad and Jill live. It will be a very long day. I've tried my best to be as prepared as I can be...snacks, toys, all manner of little things to amuse Connor with his tiny attention span. We'll see how it all goes.
I know that I worry too much about what other people think. For years, I hated being seated near small children on long trips, as they would almost always wail. I remember how much it irritated me, and I don't like to make others suffer similarly. But my Mom had a good point when she told me today: "Michelle, you have good kids. Bring interesting toys, try your best to make it fun, and if they wail every now and then, just remember that that's part of life. Anyone who has had children knows it, and anyone who hasn't had them yet will learn." I'll try to be less hyper-sensitive, we'll see whether it helps.
I'm off to bed; Connor's eyeteeth are acting up and I don't anticipate much sleep. The positive spin I'm choosing to put on the whole scene is that hopefully he'll nap more tomorrow while we're travelling. I'll post again once we return, probably on Sunday the 8th. Adios!
Tuesday, May 27, 2008
Calm Before the Storm