We went to the kids' first gymnastics class on Thursday morning - it was everything I was hoping it would be. Small enough that everyone gets some attention, safe enough that they can climb all over the place and not get hurt, and big enough that there's room for everyone to be doing an activity without long lineups. The instructor is good too; she sets up a circuit of different activities, but she also understands that little ones don't always follow directions very well. One of the highlights was a pit filled with soft foam blocks, and Connor delighted in climbing up on the vaulting horse and throwing himself into the pit over and over again. Adara preferred the trampolines (three!) and is getting the knack of bouncing down on her bum and then back up on her feet again.
I went with this class because it's for 1 to 5 year olds, which means both kids can be in the same class, and because I'd heard through the homeschooling grapevine that the instructor welcomed parental involvement (unlike some which banish them as soon as possible). Unfortunately, it's a twenty minute drive away, which had me hesitating until I realized that it's about 2 minutes away from the zoo. So we've made Thursday mornings into gymnastics/zoo mornings; as long as the weather is decent (warmer than -15 or so), we'll bundle up and go to the zoo after the class and make the morning even more fun that way (plus save on gas).
Saturday, October 11, 2008
Gymnastics Excitement
Labels: children