CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, December 13, 2008

Simplifying in All Respects

These days the urge to simplify has become even stronger. Not sure why, but I can't see a downside so I'm going with it. Anything that minimizes wasted time and effort must be good, yes?

I'm revamping my holiday planning for next year with a vengeance. No more doing things just because I've done them for years. No more wasting days making things for people who really don't need (or worse, won't appreciate) what I've made. I'm not saying I won't make things - I love crafts - but I will choose my recipients, and the number of recipients, much more carefully. No more fussing over things that just aren't important to Trev or I. And much more focus on what does matter. We started a Jesse tree tradition this year, and I'm liking it a lot. I've found a few other things I'd like to try next year that help us to focus on the Christ in Christmas.

I'm getting a digital scrapbooking program to do my albums with (my Christmas present from Trev) to cut down on the time it takes to scrapbook. This one hurt, as I really do love the paper part of scrapbooking. But I got painfully honest with myself and said 'Look, it's either you do it this way, or you're eventually going to get so far behind that you'll give up'. It's true. So I'm going to give digital scrapping a try and see if it helps.

I'm going through my craft supplies. If I can't see a good reason for using it, it's gone. I've got way too many odds and ends.

I recently picked up a set of clear boxes to go in our toy storage shelves. Sorting through the toys, colouring and art supplies, puzzles and all the rest is a good way to pick out all of the things that the kids don't like or don't use, as well as the occasional piece of junk that has crept in.

I'm reorganizing my papers. I got two more portable filing boxes, and will have one for all of our owner's manuals, one for old papers, and one for current papers.

It sounds crazy perhaps, but the more I do this kind of thing, the more content I feel. When we moved to Calgary I was overwhelmed by how much stuff we had. It seemed so excessive, especially since we've always liked to travel light. Hopefully all of these little efforts will help get us back to a healthier balance.