CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, September 6, 2008

Starting to Feel Like Home

I don't have a lot of time, but I thought I'd post quickly to say that things are settling out nicely here. Despite not having finished the boxes, we hit the farmers market today and got enough fresh tomatoes and peppers to make a winter's worth of salsa, as well as a big box (40 pounds) of ripe and juicy peaches. I couldn't resist the peaches - I'll probably use half or more to make spiced peach jam, and the rest I'll just peel, slice and freeze for baking in the winter. Having made my own jam and salsa for the last several years, I'm finding I really don't like the store-bought stuff at all (unless it's the expensive gourmet stuff). Trev won't eat store-bought salsa at all! So it's worth it to us to put things on hold for a week while I do the canning.

Otherwise, we've met a few of the neighbours and their children, all friendly folk. Adara starts her dance classes on Monday. We've made progress in making the rooms feel homier, though we're not done yet. So I would say things are going well. It's a bit lonely, of course, and I'm looking forward to beginning our search for a church family once Mom settles in and can watch the kids for us while we attend the various services. But overall Trev and I are both pleased with how well we're settling in.