I'm fluctuating between being thrilled and grieving tonight - an odd combination, and quite unexpected. I got some very, very good news today: Trev put in an offer on the house he has liked all along, and they have accepted, after some dickering back and forth, for a price we can afford. Providing the home inspection next week shows no major defects, and providing our financing goes through as it should, we will be able to take possession August 13. I'm so happy and relieved that the house-hunting part is done, and that we have a new home to go to soon. That's the thrilled part.
The grieving part...well, Trev and I have concluded that we will have to put our little cat Bitsy to sleep, and we've booked it for this Friday. While there are a number of health issues involved, some of which have been going on a long time, the final straw was that the poor little thing simply hasn't adjusted to having all of her top teeth out, which we had to have done several months ago because they had become too rotten to save. She doesn't like the soft food (we've tried many kinds), only picks at it, and won't eat it at all after it has sat in the bowl for more than 10 minutes. She's making herself sick trying to eat whatever else she can find on the floors. We've tried for months now, but she's getting thinner and more stressed and angrier every day...our passive, easy-going little cat is actually starting to bite and swat us, just for walking by her. Given that a move would be an additional huge stressor for her, we've decided that the kindest and most responsible thing we can do is to end her unhappy little life, much as it hurts us to do so. She's been a part of our family for 8 years now, and it's hard to say goodbye. The kids adore her, too, which makes it that much harder.
So here I sit, going back and forth. And I thank the Lord that I don't need to make any big decisions tonight - who knows what the result would be!