It's funny how the mind works...the night before I start a diet, I'm always tempted to binge on junk food. Tonight, I'm tempted to come up with things to complain about. Sound bizarre? You see, I'm taking on the "Complaint Free World" 21 day challenge. I ordered the bracelet, but put off taking on the challenge until I got the chance to read the book Will Bowen write about his project. It finally came through via interlibrary loan, and now I'm ready to take the plunge.
The goal is to have 21 days go by without complaining, gossiping or criticizing. Every time I catch myself doing one of those things, I have to switch the bracelet to the other wrist. The theory is that once you become conscious of complaining, you can begin to avoid doing so. From reading through the book, I fully expect it to be weeks before I get through even one full day...but I can't help but wonder how much nicer life would be, not only for myself but also my family, if there's no griping about things from Mama. I'm nervous, though, not only that it will be hard, but that I'll have to face just how much complaining I do regularly. Not good for the ego, I suspect.
Wish me luck! I'll post occasionally on this, but not often, especially in the beginning (I'll only have complaints, which aren't allowed). Still, I'll let you know when I reach milestones.
Sunday, March 2, 2008
Taking on a New Challenge